Reference Code: EDUC
The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R), the premier professional association for rehabilitation physicians, has an immediate opening for an Education Manager.
AAPM&R serves more than 8,000 board certified physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation (one of 24 ABMS certified board certified medical specialties).
This position oversees the development and management of AAPM&R’s Annual Assembly (AA), including oversight of all educational content and sessions, and coordination with all appropriate staff and departments. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing the call for proposals/abstracts process, faculty and speaker recruitment and management, managing the CME and evaluation processes, working with the Corporate Relations department to secure equipment for hands-on sessions, working with the Marketing and Communications department to develop promotional materials, and overseeing all other essential functions need to plan and implement AA. The selected candidate will serve as the professional staff liaison to the Program Planning Committee – which reports to the Medical Education Committee (MEC). The manager will also work with a high-impact team to support volunteer leaders and subject matter experts as they create content to address identified knowledge and skill gaps.
Day-to-day activities include development and implementation of work-plans and project timelines to support AA content development. The manager will also be responsible for the development of and compliance with budgets and support of the volunteer infrastructure, and assisting with keynote speaker contract negotiations. Approximately 50% of the responsibilities will involve managing and implementing pre-defined processes. The remainder of the manager’s time will be spent strategically working with key volunteer and staff leadership to grow multifaceted educational initiatives related to AA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as primary staff liaison to the Program Planning Committee and a variety of MEC subject matter expert work groups. Includes planning face-to-face meetings and several conference calls throughout the year; develops agendas and meeting materials with directional input from supervisor.
- Responsible for partnering with volunteers and staff across the Academy to transition educational concepts, as identified via member needs assessment, environmental scans, and market research analysis, into tangible components of AA. Includes building and utilizing formal and informal relationships to gain consensus on business plans, deliverables and budgets; and works cross-functionally across the organization to support marketing messages and communications
- Possesses strong project management skills; demonstrated ability to develop and implement work plans associated with educational content. Works with staff, physician volunteers and third-party vendors to produce content on time and within budget.
- Supports AA proposal and abstract submission management process by serving as the lead administrator of online submission site. Includes training volunteers and staff on how to use the technology, monitoring work flow and process; sending reminders about deadlines; making recommendations for improvements, etc.
- Actively explore and identify educational learning trends, learning technology and other resources available to improve instructional design and delivery of educational content.
- Ensure, in accordance with Academy processes and policies, that all activities related to the Annual Assembly are in compliance with ACCME accreditation requirements and copyright permissions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director, Education or Associate Executive Director, Education.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Genuine interest and passion for educational content design and delivery.
- Comfort with collaborative team approach within department and across organization.
- Ability to manage several projects at once, while staying organized, and being able to respond in a timely manner to multiple incoming priorities and requests. Comfortable with independent and group work. Works efficiently, collaboratively with a cooperative spirit.
- Capable of understanding and synthesizing complex systems and situations and presenting those facts to others in a meaningful way.
- Confident using good judgment to make solid recommendations. Identifies opportunities to streamline processes and makes recommendations for overall improvements.
- Strong customer-service focus; understands member-based organizations and the unique and ever-changing balance that must be struck between rules and exceptions.
- Courteous and professional demeanor with strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills. Comfortable interacting with physician volunteers.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Knowledge of or ability to learn key organizational systems that include iMIS 20 (AMS) and Planstone (faculty management system).
- Experience designing live education and knowledge of technology to enhance and manage live educational activities, a plus.
- Working knowledge of ACCME Criteria and policies and AMA policies related to continuing medical education, a plus.
- Maintains high professional standards of integrity, ethics, and commitment to the goals of AAPM&R.
Education and Experience:
- Relevant Bachelor's degree, and 3-5 years of experience required.
- 2+ years of experience in association management.
- Work experience in project management a plus.
Travel is less than 5%, including the Annual Assembly and other potential short trips throughout the year to be determined. Weekend committee meetings should be expected, primarily located at or near the office in Rosemont. There is also a potential to participate in evening conference calls/webinars throughout the year
How to Apply for a Job with AAPM&R
Submit your cover letter, resume, salary history, and position of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please note, you must include the position's reference code ED1117 in the email's subject line to be considered.
No faxing or phone inquiries please.
AAPM&R offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a very comprehensive benefits package. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).