How does the RFTPC Board nomination and appointment process work?
- Interested AAPM&R Resident and Fellow-in-Training Members must complete the online nomination submission form, submitting their officer/liaison preferences as well as a personal statement and curriculum vitae. Please be very thoughtful about your personal statement and check your grammar and spelling carefully. Your personal statement serves as your singular application for both RFTPC Board officer positions and committee/liaison appointments. If you are selected for the President, Vice-President or Secretary slate, your personal statement will then be circulated (as your platform) on the electronic ballot received by all AAPM&R Resident Members.
- The RFTPC Nominating Committee will then review officer candidates for the Executive Committee positions (President, Vice-President, and Secretary) and select up to three (3) candidates for each position to be placed on the ballot slate*.
- AAPM&R resident members will then receive an email link to vote for one (1) candidate for each officer position of President, Vice-President, and Secretary.
- Upon election, the new RFTPC Board President-Elect, along with the sitting RFTPC Board President, reviews the candidates for committee/liaison appointments and together selects a slate to present to the RFTPC Nominating Committee for preliminary approval*.
- Upon approval by the RFTPC Nominating Committee, the full slate of officers will then be presented to the AAPM&R Board of Governors for final approval.
*If you would like to be considered for a committee/liaison appointment should you not be elected as an officer, be sure to complete the nomination form below, as directed, for your particular position(s) of interest. For those nominating themselves as an officer, please complete your committee/liaison requests by August 1.
Any interested AAPM&R resident members (PGY-1 through PGY-3) may apply for officer or board appointments, with the exception of the RFTPC Board President. Only sitting PGY-1 or PGY-2 RPC Board Members are eligible to run for RPC Board President. Due to membership requirements in the RFTPC, PGY-4s (unless in a 5 year combined PM&R-Pediatrics residency program) may not otherwise nominate themselves for positions. RFTPC Board participation also requires that officers/liaisons are resident members of the Academy. A 1-year commitment is required. Preferential consideration is given to candidates with strong organizational and leadership qualities, significant volunteer and academic experiences, and motivation to serve if elected.
Please refer to the Resident and Fellow-in-Training Physician Council Charter in the resident section of the Academy website for any further details. Those applying for a position with the RFTPC Board are highly encouraged (but not required) to attend this year's AAPM&R Annual Assembly (October 20-23, 2016 in New Orleans, LA). The RFTPC incoming and outgoing leadership will meet on Thursday, October 20, at 8 am to review current and future activities. We recommend that all incoming leadership try to attend this function. All funded RFTPC Board members are required to attend the RFTPC Board Interim Meeting (January/February 2017) in Rosemont, Illinois at AAPM&R Headquarters.