The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R) seeks applications for the position of Editor-in-Chief of PM&R for a 5-year term that will begin with the January 2019 issue.
PM&R is the official scientific journal of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R), the primary medical society for the specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Launched in 2009, PM&R is a monthly, peer reviewed, scholarly publication. PM&R emphasizes principles of injury, function, and rehabilitation, and is designed to be relevant to practitioners and researchers in a variety of medical and surgical specialties and rehabilitation disciplines. It is distributed to the AAPM&R membership of over 8,500.
Interested applicants must be able to demonstrate a record of scholarship in physical medicine and rehabilitation, prior experience in scientific editing (preferably journal editing), and history of leadership. This is a prestigious appointment that requires a person with experience, passion, and time to continue the growth and development, and advancing prominence, of PM&R in the scientific publishing community. As currently structured, this position has a substantial time commitment (15 + hours per week); AAPMR provides financial support for the Journal Editor-in-Chief.
- Must be a physiatrist who is Board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Current member of AAPM&R
- Established record of scholarship and broad expertise in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills
- Understanding of the editorial process
- Experience on editorial boards
- Ability to attract respected content experts
- Commitment to editorial excellence
- Partner with editorial office staff – work closely with Managing editor in reviewing and modifying editorial processes/procedures, and observing fiscal oversight
- Maintain dialogue with journal’s designated publisher
- Lead editorial board of Senior and Associate editors
- Annual evaluation (metrics) of Senior and Associate editors
- Yearly evaluation and update (as needed) of roles and responsibilities of Senior and Associate Editors
- Direct strategic planning with yearly Senior Editorial Board meeting
- Monitor and facilitate editorial work flow efficiency
- Promote submission of high quality manuscripts
- Synthesize reviews and finalize editorial decisions on all submissions
- Provide critical, constructive, and clear feedback to authors
- Work directly with Feature and Special editors (statistics; practice management; ethical/legal; point counterpoint; images; international perspectives; social media)
- Develop special issues (1 to 2 per year) – identify topics and guest editors, and provide direct editorial oversight
- Identify potential papers for Award recognition and make final determination with input from Senior editors
- Approve print and online advertising (through Publisher)
- Liaison with AAPM&R Council leaders and BOG Strategic Coordinating Chairs to identify content and content experts
- Serve as ex-officio member of the AAPM&R BOG – attend twice yearly Board meetings
- Present a yearly Editor-in-Chief report to the AAPM&R BOG
- Be available and responsive to miscellaneous or urgent requests, or unusual circumstances related to journal activities
- Serve as an ambassador for the journal at national and international meetings
Interested individuals should prepare and submit an application via e-mail. The application must include the following items:
- Letter of Application (250-300 words) describing your qualifications for the role of Editor-in-Chief, such as editorial experience, track record of scholarship in the field, and demonstrated ability to manage deadlines and to attract high-quality manuscripts. Please address how the candidate will accommodate the time demands of the position. Also indicate level of institutional support.
- Vision Statement (800-1,000 words) providing description of your vision for PM&R under your leadership. The statement should include a critique of the Journal’s current scope and should set forth your goals and plans for its content, including ideas for increasing submissions and for the make-up and responsibilities of the Editorial Board.
- Curriculum Vitae that describes your scientific experience, indicates your current affiliation(s), scientific/research experience, positions of leadership and publication history.
Applications will be reviewed by the AAPM&R Journal Editor-in-Chief Search Committee. Committee members includes Alberto Esquenazi, MD (Chair), Jonathan Finnoff, DO, Steve R. Flanagan, MD, Darryl Kaelin, MD, Kathleen Bell, MD, Robert Rinaldi, MD
Applications and attachments should be emailed to Cathy Mendelsohn, PM&R Managing Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 31, 2017. The Search Committee will review all applications and select individuals for in-person interviews. After the interviews, the Search Committee will convene to make its final recommendation and provide that recommendation to the AAPM&R Board of Governors.
The selected candidate will be expected to disclose any potential conflicts of interest prior to appointment and annually thereafter throughout his or her term of service.