Wednesday, October 19
8:30 am-5 pm
Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Course Director: Martin Lanoff, MD
Faculty: Steve R. Geiringer, MD; Joe G. Gonzales, MD, CLCP; James F. Hewson, JD
This 1-day course will provide the knowledge and hands-on experience to build and maintain a robust and ethical medicolegal practice by teaching attendees how to be an effective legal expert witness, report author, IME examiner, life care planner as well as other skills to help you diversify your practice in this area.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform life care planning
- Prepare an effective medicolegal file review
- Formulate effective expert witness testimony
- Recognize what an attorney expects during your expert testimony
- Perform an effective independent medical examination (IME)
- Identify fraud and abuse in the medicolegal arena
- Build and maintain a robust medicolegal practice
- Design an effective medicolegal report
“This course is designed to not only serve as an introductory course for medicolegal novices interested in expanding their practices, but will also contain many valuable pearls for those already experienced in this type of consulting. It is taught by real-world, experienced physiatrists who understand the vast spectrum of medicolegal work as well as the supply and demand imperatives of today’s competitive marketplace.” — Dr. Lanoff, Course Director
Lecture Topics Include
- Life care planning
- Medicolegal file review techniques
- Physician expert witness testimony
- Attorney’s perspective of physician testimony
- The IME exam
- Fraud and abuse detection in the medicolegal arena
- Building and maintaining a medicolegal practice
- Authoring medicolegal reports, with hands-on critique and discussion session
Incorporate Your Own Experience into the Program
Attendees of this course who have authored medicolegal and independent medical exam reports in the past are asked to submit sample reports to email@example.com for review and critique during this session. Please use the subject line: Medicolegal Precourse Report Sample when submitting your report.
*Per HIPAA laws, please remove physician and patient names from the sample reports before submitting.
Who Should Attend?
Physicians interested in establishing, maintaining or improving an effective and ethical medicolegal practice. This course is focused on methods to help establish expert witness techniques and the day-to-day running of a medicolegal supplementary practice, in addition to improving any of these existing skills. The course is suitable for both physicians with or without previous medicolegal experience.
The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation of Credit
The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and topics subject to change.