|7 am-7:30 am |
|Registration Open |
|7:30 am-8:15 am |
|Rationale for Regenerative Interventions in Orthopedics and Sports Medicine |
William Micheo, MD
- Review the issues associated with common medications prescribed for orthopedic conditions such as tendinopathies and osteoarthritis.
- Review the negative effects of common use injectates such as Marcaine and lidocaine.
- Review the current evidence against the use of corticosteroids for tendon problems, arthritis, and in lumbar epidural injections.
|8:15 am-9 am ||Where Does Prolotherapy Fit in the Treatment of Orthopedic Conditions? |
Joanne Borg-Stein, MD
- Basic overview of Prolotherapy including proposed mechanisms (compare and contrast).
- What is the scientific literature to support these treatments?
- How to apply Prolotherapy treatments in practice?
|9:15 am-9:30 am ||Break |
|9:30 am-10:15 am ||Basic Terminology in Understanding Stem Cell Therapies: The ABCs of Stem Cell Language |
Prathap Jayaram, MD
- What are Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs)?
- What are the actions/functions of MSCs?
- What are the differences between bone marrow and adipose-derived stem cells?
- Understand the terminologies used in scientific literature regarding stem cells/MSC.
|10:15 am-11 am ||Evidence For/Against Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) in Orthopedic Conditions |
Kenneth Mautner, MD
- What is the evidence for/against PRP for tendinopathies?
- What is the evidence for/against PRP for cartilage pathology/OA?
- Where the proper place for PRP in tendinopathies and cartilage pathology?
|11 am-11:30 am ||Panel Discussion/Q&A |
|11:30 am-12:30 pm ||Lunch on Own |
|12:30 pm-1 pm ||Evidence For/Against Bone Marrow Stem Cell Therapies in Orthopedic Conditions |
Mary A. Ambach, MD
- What is the evidence for/against adipose-derived stem cell therapies in orthopedic conditions?
- What are the concerns in using adipose-derived stem cell therapies in orthopedic conditions?
- Are adipose-derived stem cells superior or inferior to bone-marrow derived stem cells?
- How can a clinician be compliant using adipose-derived stem cell therapies
|1 pm-1:30 pm ||Orthobiologic Treatments for Spine Pain |
John Pitts, MD
- What are the various proposed biologic agents for spine conditions?
- What is the evidence for/against PRP for disc; facet; facet and SI joint pathology?
- What is the evidence for/against stem cell Txs for disc; facet; facet and SI joint pathology?
|1:30 pm-2 pm ||Technical Issues in the Harvesting and Concentrating Stem Cells (Bone Marrow and Adipose Derived) |
Jay Bowen, DO
- What equipment/staff need to be available?
- Description of the collection techniques, including anesthesia, sterile field, positioning, potential danger zones, etc.
- Recommendations for pain/anxiety control
- Overview of guidance techniques
- Tips and tricks for obtaining enough aspirate
- Risks in harvesting and concentrating stem cells
|2 pm-2:30 pm ||Regulatory Issues in Regenerative Orthopedics |
Imran Siddiqui, MD
Is there data to support the safety and clinical efficacy of stem cells for orthopedic conditions?
- Understand the FDA position on the use of stem cells/PRP
- If we are using an FDA approved kit, are we OK?
- Are there variations from state to state?
- Are there liability concerns from the use of a non-standard treatment?
|2:30 pm-3 pm ||Expert Opinion on the Applications of Various Regenerative Treatments for Orthopedic Conditions
- Bone marrow MSCs
- Adipose-derived MSCs
|3 pm ||Summary/Conclusions |
Gerard Malanga, MD