Wednesday, October 19
8 am-5:20 pm
Hilton New Orleans Riverside
Course Director: Christopher J. Visco, MD
This 1-day course is designed for physiatrists who want to start applying ultrasound to patients with musculoskeletal and neurologic diagnoses for diagnostic and interventional applications. More interactive, hands-on experiences than ever allows the clinician to begin developing and understanding the manual skills needed to improve their practice with clinical ultrasound. Over 5 hours of hands-on time will allow physiatrists to truly experience ultrasound first hand.
NEW for 2016—Online lectures available before the live course! Registrants will be able to view the online lectures prior to the live course to maximize the time for hands-on training. It is strongly recommended that attendees view these online lectures before attending this course. Scroll down to preview some of the online lectures!
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Use an ultrasound machine, applying the various components to acquire an image, properly annotate, and document.
- Describe their understanding of surface structures and the relationship between regional anatomy, using ultrasound.
- Identify and differentiate structures typically examined in the neurologic and musculoskeletal system.
- Describe the indications, advantages, and disadvantages of using ultrasound imaging in musculoskeletal and/or neurologic clinical applications, including spasticity and pain.
- Modify the practice application of ultrasound to reflect current accepted uses and utilize a methodical approach when examining body regions.
- Alter practice efficiency with regard to the clinical application of ultrasound.
- Demonstrate improved visual-spatial and manual skill as it relates to needle tracking with ultrasound guidance.
"This interactive course is designed for the "every day" physiatrist. Try on ultrasound for the first time to find out how it will best fit your clinical practice in any area including neurologic, musculoskeletal or pediatric applications. Get hands-on with outstanding faculty spanning a broad array of sub-specialty training ready to help you get started or to brush up on your current ultrasound diagnostic and interventional skills." — Dr. Visco, Course Director
Online Lecture Topics Include:
- Physics, optimization, and tissue differentiation
- Needle tracking and ultrasound-guided injection techniques
- Ultrasound spasticity, pediatric, and nerve applications in the upper limb
- Shoulder: normal anatomy and ultrasound protocol
- Forearm, wrist, and hand anatomy and ultrasound protocol
Live Lecture and Hands-On Lab Topics Include:
- Technical, needle tracking, and manual skills lab
- Shoulder clinical applications and pathology with ultrasound
- Shoulder region scanning lab
- Forearm, wrist, and hand clinical applications and pathology with ultrasound
- Forearm, wrist, and hand region scanning lab
Online Lecture Preview Videos
Online lectures will be available a month prior to the live course and registrants will be notified via email with instructions on how to access them. It is strongly recommended that registrants view the online lectures before arriving at the live course. Take a look at the videos below for a preview of some of the online lectures:
Needle Tracking and Ultrasound-Guided Injection Technique
Ethan B. Colliver, DO
Ultrasound Pediatric Applications in the Upper Limb
Heakyung Kim, MD
Shoulder: Normal Anatomy and Ultrasound Protocol
Luis Baerga-Varela, MD
Who Should Attend?
Physicians who care for patients with neurologic or musculoskeletal diseases with a novice, beginner or intermediate understanding of ultrasound.
The American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Designation of Credit
The American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation designates this live activity for a maximum of 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and topics subject to change.
Visit Exhibitors at the Ultrasound Preconference Course