Reference Code – AM - 0613
The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM &R), the premier professional association for rehabilitation physicians, has an immediate opening for an Applications Manager in our Technology department.
AAPM&R serves more than 8,000 board certified physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation (one of 24 board certified medical specialties). Representing approximately 70 percent of all rehabilitation physicians, AAPM&R is a leader in helping PM&R physicians acquire the continuing education, practice knowledge, leadership skills, and research findings needed to provide quality patient care, and to represent the best interests of patients with, or at risk for, temporary or permanent disabilities. For more information, visit www.aapmr.org.
The Applications Manager will be responsible for evaluating, implementing, maintaining, and supporting business and member-facing applications, websites, and related services. This position combines technical skills along with business analysis (including business savvy) and project management to make data and applications effective. This role will work with a wide range of staff to provide recommendations for and updates to the Academy’s portfolio of software and web applications based on the needs of our staff and members for short and long term efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the portfolio of applications and the life-cycles of the individual applications, the most notable of which being the iMIS Association Management System. Responsible for maintaining, supporting, and upgrading existing systems and applications necessary for business operations. This involves working with the business to understand needs, and translating these needs into requirements for vendor partners to implement.
- Act as the subject matter expert for iMIS. With the help and direction of vendors, perform maintenance and upgrades, create and run reports, and troubleshoot any system issues.
- Interact with users to better understand their business processes and needs. Ensure that personnel have knowledge of the applications. Provide training guides, user education and training on each application. Ensure application setup is timely and accurate. Help in problem solving and issue resolution.
- Knowledge of best practices for application maintenance. Be able to identify potential issues in collaboration with external service providers and outside vendors.
- Receive, screen, and catalog user requests for new applications or modifications to existing applications and determine appropriate priority and response. Perform primary and preliminary systems analysis and meetings with users. Meets with users to analyze, clarify and define requirements to determine optimum solutions. Analyzes effects on existing systems with collaboration from Infrastructure Manager and outside vendors.
- Provides project management leadership and assistance for projects involving the technology team. Participates in all phases of projects including development, design, testing, and production.
- Manage user support and troubleshooting, input on business requirements, system & process enhancement support and documentation, system maintenance, and partner training.
- Track and tests new technology and new techniques. Oversee the evaluation of new software products and vendors for business applications. Work with the technology team to plan installation and modifications of integrated software applications and ensure system compatibility.
- Regularly monitor service perceptions and satisfaction of staff and members. Assess and manage application risks, proactively addressing issues before they escalate. Work with 3rd party software vendors and internal IT support teams to troubleshoot production issues.
- Ensure new software complies with the Academy’s practices and policies.
- Analyzes complex business problems and assesses how systems can be implemented to solve them. Translate business needs into requirements for vendors when implementing new systems or performing changes to existing systems.
- Maintains documentation and facilitates communication around any modifications to existing applications and any new applications.
- Prioritizes and allocates work on applications projects according to available capacity and business defined priorities.
- Cooperatively and constructively contributes to technology team, this includes providing backup as needed. Assists the organization in defining the implementing its business plan and goals to support the strategy and goals of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Successfully manage projects in complex environments with many involved parties, including vendors.
- General understanding of how a relational database works. Knowledge of SQL (MS SQL) a plus.
- Deadline-oriented, flexible, organized and able to handle prioritization between concurrent projects. Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work independently with minimum guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with the ability to lead peers without direct authority. Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, demonstrated by the ability to effectively interact with technology team members, business managers and users, as well as executive management.
- Able to research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques.
- Able to work off-hours and weekends. Accessible via smart phone for outages.
Education and Experience
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree in relevant topic area (e.g. Computer Science) and/or equivalent experience.
- 2 – 3 years of IT business analysis and support for software applications preferred.
- Experience with iMIS association management system preferred.
- Experience implementing packaged and customized software.
- Experience managing projects with cross-functional teams.
Less than 5% annually
How to Apply For a Job with AAPM&R
Submit your cover letter, resume, salary history, and position of interest to: email@example.com. Please note, you must include the position's reference code AM 0613 in the email's subject line to be considered.
No faxing or phone inquiries please.
AAPM&R offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a very comprehensive benefits package. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).