Through an announcement
in today’s Federal Register the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has updated their Master List of Items Frequently Subject to Unnecessary Utilization that could be potentially subject to Prior Authorization as a condition of payment. No new HCPCS codes were added to the list. Effective today, the following HCPCS codes were deleted from the list:
- E0260 - Hospital bed semi-electric (head and foot adjustment) with any type side rails with mattress.
- E0601 - Continuous Airway Pressure (CPAP) Device.
- E1390 - Oxygen Concentrator.
- K0004 - High strength, lightweight wheelchair.
View the Final Master List of DMEPOS Items Subject To Frequent Unnecessary Utilization For Prior Authorization.
Please note that the Master List contains items that are potentially subject to pre-authorization. As of July 17, 2017, only two items were actually subject to required prior authorization:
- K0856: Power wheelchair, group 3 std., single power option, sling/solid seat/back, patient weight capacity up to and including 300 pounds
- K0861: Power wheelchair, group 3 std., multiple power option, sling/solid seat/back, patient weight capacity up to and including 300 pounds
Although reference is made to a “Required Prior Authorization List,” no list by that name was identifiable on the CMS website, however CMS does note that they will publish the Required Prior Authorization List in the Federal Register with at least 60 days’ notice before implementation of prior authorization for those items on the list.