The Quality Payment Program Hardship Exception Application for the 2017 transition year is now available on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Quality Payment Program website.
MIPS eligible clinicians and groups may qualify for a reweighting of their Advancing Care Information performance category score to 0% of the final score, and can submit a hardship exception application, for one of the following specified reasons:
- Insufficient internet connectivity
- Extreme and uncontrollable circumstances
- Lack of control over the availability of Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT)
There are some MIPS eligible clinicians who are considered Special Status, who will be automatically reweighted (or exempted in the case of MIPS eligible clinicians participating in a MIPS APM) and do not need to submit a Quality Payment Program Hardship Exception Application.
For more information about the Quality Payment Program hardship application process, visit the Quality Payment Program website.
EHR Incentive Program Hardship Exception Application
Eligible professionals (EPs) who are first-time participants in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program in 2017 are also eligible to apply for a one-time hardship exception. Applications are due by October 1, 2017.
A first-time EP may apply for this one-time significant hardship to avoid a 2018 payment adjustment if:
- The EP is a first-time participant in the EHR Incentive Program in CY 2017 and intends to participate in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program in CY 2017, and
- The EP is transitioning to MIPS for the 2017 performance period, and
- The EP intends to report on measures specified for the Advancing Care Information performance category under the MIPS in 2017.
Visit the EHR Incentive Programs website and download the instructions on how to apply for this EHR Incentive Programs hardship application.
For more information, contact:
- Quality Payment Program Service Center at 1-866-288-8292 or TTY: 1-877-715-6222 or QPP@cms.hhs.gov.
- Electronic Health Record (EHR) Information Center at 1-888-734-6433 (press 1).