Opioids: What’s an “Outlier Prescriber”? Listening Session — September 17
Tuesday, September 17 from 4:30 to 6 pm ET
Register for Medicare Learning Network events.
Are you a physician, nurse practitioner, other advanced practice nurse, or physician assistant who prescribes opioids? CMS wants your input on how best to implement Section 6065 of the SUPPORT Act.
Signed into law in October 2018, the Substance Use-Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment for Patients and Communities Act (SUPPORT Act) outlines national strategies to help address opioid misuse. As part of Section 6065 of the SUPPORT Act, CMS is required to notify opioid prescribers with prescription patterns identified as “outliers” compared to their peers and encourage them to reference established opioid prescribing guidelines.
The purpose of this listening session is to get feedback on the following topics:
- Methodology to establish outlier prescriber thresholds
- Tone and content of feedback reports to clinicians
- How to best identify a “medical specialty” from the National Provider Identifier framework
- How to define geographic areas for analysis
- Recommendations on opioid prescribing guidelines to include with the notification
You are encouraged to review the following materials before the call:
Target Audience: All prescribing clinicians.