On April 16, 2020, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released an ill-timed proposed rule for the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) Prospective Payment System (PPS) for Fiscal Year 2021. The proposed rule, among other provisions, includes a shocking proposal to amend the IRF coverage requirements to allow non-physician practitioners (NPPs) to perform certain duties that are currently required to be performed by a rehabilitation physician.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS about the FY2021 IRF PPS Proposed Rule
TIMELINE: Team Physiatry Works to Defeat FY2021 IRF PPS Proposed Rule
Thank you for joining us on this important initiative. Your Academy raised a unified voice to CMS against this proposal before the public comment window closed on June 15, 2020. But our work is not done!
As we continue to collaborate and engage the entire specialty in our response efforts, please check out AAPM&R's game plan below for additional actions you can take to oppose the 2021 IRF Proposed Rule.
Team Physiatry’s advocacy is driven by you. Thank you for being a #PMRAdvocate and getting involved!
What can you do to defeat this proposal? AAPM&R’s ability to oppose this proposal depends on YOU. Here are some quick and easy steps you can take to join the fight:
- Contact your Congressional Representative asking them to urge CMS not to finalize this proposal. Use these talking points, located in AAPM&R's Advocacy Action Center, to help craft your message.
- At the end of the public comment period, 2,377 physicians submitted customized letters to CMS using our template. AAPM&R also created a customizable letter specifically for PM&R Department Chairs and PM&R Division Chiefs to submit to CMS. Read AAPM&R Comments to CMS' FY2021 IRF Proposed Rule.
- At the end of the public comment period, 97 patients and other key stakeholders submitted customized letters to CMS using our template.
- AAPM&R's coalition letter, signed by 123 groups, was featured in these articles:
- On June 2, your Academy held an Advocacy Open Forum: IRF Proposed Rule to solicit feedback from members to help us mobilize our response to this proposal. View the recording.
- On May 12, your Board of Governors held a virtual town hall to provide members with an update on the Academy's response to this proposal and provided an opportunity to share feedback and input. View the recording.
See how the Academy has been defending physiatric-led care in rehab hospitals.