The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (“AAPM&R,” “We,” “Our,” “Us”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through Our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information We may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit Our websites: www.aapmr.org; me.aapmr.org; www.pmrknowledgenow.org; and/or www.phyzforum.org (collectively, “Websites”) and Our practices for using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information We collect:
- On the Websites; and
- In e-mail, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Websites and AAPM&R.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline (e.g., AAPM&R member application) or through any other means, including on any other website operated by AAPM&R or Our affiliates; or
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Websites.
2. CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
Our Websites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If We learn We have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, We will delete that information. If you believe We might have any information from a child under 13, please Contact Us.
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE COLLECT IT
We collect several types of information from and about users of Our Websites, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as first and last name, home or other physical address(es), e-mail address(es), and telephone number(s) (“Personal Information”);
- That is about you, but individually does not identify you, such as your IP address, occupation, birth date, gender, clinical area of focus, location, and language; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access Our Websites, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to Us;
- Automatically as you navigate through the Websites through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies: and
- From third parties that provide Us with services related to Our business including services related to the development and operation of Our Websites; Our programs, events, activities; processing transactions, and Our communications.
3.1. Information You Provide to Us. The information We collect on or through Our Websites may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on Our Websites. This includes information provided when you update your Member Profile (if you are an AAPM&R member); register for an AAPM&R program, event, activity, or service; report a problem with the Websites; post comments or other information or materials on the Websites; or make purchases through the Websites;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact Us;
- Your responses to surveys that We might ask you to complete;
- Details of transactions you carry out through Our Websites and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through Our Websites; and
- Your search queries on the Websites.
Also, you may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on various areas of the Websites, or transmitted to other users of the Websites or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). You must think before you post User Contributions. All areas of the Websites in which User Contributions are posted should be considered public and not confidential, even if such areas are limited to Our members. Once you post a User Contribution you should assume everyone in the world can see it and will have access to it and you will be unable to delete or revise it. In addition, We have no control over what another user of the Websites may do with your User Contributions. Accordingly, you should not post anything that you wish to keep confidential or are required by law or otherwise to keep confidential. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU POST AND FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY OF YOUR USER CONTRIBUTIONS POSTED ON THE WEBSITES.
3.2. Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies. As you navigate through and interact with Our Websites, We may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about you, your equipment, and your browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to Our Websites, including: (i) whether you are a new or returning user; (ii) content viewed during your visit; (iii) frequency, duration, and recency of content viewed during your visit; (iv) your searches on the Websites; and (v) server connection speed.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your: (i) IP address; (ii) operating system; (iii) device type; (iv) network; and (v) browser type.
Also, We may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). See Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information for information on how you can opt out of behavioral tracking on the Websites and how We respond to web browser signals and other mechanisms that enable consumers to exercise choice about behavioral tracking.
The information We collect automatically, helps Us to improve Our Websites and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling Us to:
- Estimate Our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing Us to customize Our Websites according to your individual interests; and
- Recognize you when you return to Our Websites.
The technologies We use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of Our Websites may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on Our Websites. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information; and
- Web Beacons. Pages of Our Websites and Our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit AAPM&R, for example, to count users who have visited those pages, or opened an email, and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
The information We collect automatically is statistical data. We do not collect personal information automatically, but We may tie the information We collect automatically to personal information about you that We collect from other sources or you provide to Us.
We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
5. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information that We collect about you or that you provide to Us, including any personal information:
- To present Our Websites and its contents to you;
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from Us;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- To provide you with notices about your AAPM&R membership, including expiration and renewal notices;
- To provide you with notices about your mē® purchases, including expiration and CME notices;
- To carry out Our obligations and enforce Our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to Our Websites, or any products or services We offer or provide though the same;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on Our Websites;
- In any other way We may describe when you provide the information; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may use your personal information to contact you about Our own and third-parties' goods and services that may be of interest to you. For information about how you can opt out of receiving such advertising, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
We may also use the information We have collected from you to enable Us to display advertisements to Our advertisers' target audiences. Even though We do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
6. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose aggregated information about Our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To Our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- To third parties We use to support Our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential, and use it only for the purposes for which We disclosed it to them;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of AAPM&R's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by AAPM&R about Our Websites’ users is among the assets transferred;
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which We disclosed it to them. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information;
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by Us when you provide the information; and
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If We believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of AAPM&R, Our members, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
7. CHOICES ABOUT HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to Us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
7.2. Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want Us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out if you Contact Us and state your desire to opt-out of such disclosures.
7.3. Promotional Offers from the AAPM&R. If you do not wish to have your personal information used by AAPM&R to promote Our own or third parties' products or services, you can opt-out if you Contact Us and opting out of such uses. If We send you a promotional e-mail, you may send Us a return e-mail asking to be omitted from future e-mail distributions. If you are an AAPM&R member, you may log into your member profile page and opt-out of such disclosures by adjusting your preferences by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes. If your membership status changes at any time, your email preferences may return to default settings and require additional changes.
8. ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
If you are an AAPM&R member you may review and correct your personal information by logging into the Websites and visiting your member profile page.
Whether you are an AAPM&R member or not, you may send Us an e-mail at email@example.com to request access to, review, and request changes to your personal information. However, We will not delete your personal information. Also, We may not make a requested change if We believe the change would: (i)violate any law or legal requirement; (ii)cause the information to be incorrect; or (iii) not be in the best interest of AAPM&R.
9. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of Our Websites that are California residents to request certain information regarding Our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please Contact Us.
10. DATA SECURITY
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to Us is stored on Our secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions and login information is encrypted using SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of Our Websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although We do Our best to protect your personal information, We cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to Our Websites. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Websites.
12. CONTACT US
American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Attn: Customer Service
9700 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue, Suite 200
Rosemont, IL 60018
(877) AAPMR 99
Last modified: June 27, 2017