State PM&R societies represent the specialty at the state level by participating in the following activities:
- Create an infrastructure for state and federal grassroots efforts.
- Collaborate with your state medical society and other medical specialty societies on a range of health policy issues and legislation.
- Schedule meetings with your state legislators and your members of Congress (an investment to protect the viability of the specialty).
- Inspire your patients to get involved. This is especially important now with so many changes and innovations in-patient care delivery.
- Prioritize patient safety in your messages and correspondence to members of the state legislature and third-party payers.
- Stress function and quality of life as critical components of health care proposals. It is also important to emphasize that physiatrists specialize in helping people regain maximum function.
- Schedule joint meetings with patient groups and your elected officials and explain how their decisions impact patient care.
Tools to Help You Start a PMR Society in Your State
If you are interested in beginning a PMR Society in your state, use the sample resources provided below to help you get started.
Grassroots efforts are critical in engaging your state legislators and your members of Congress on important health policy issues and legislation. Use the resources below to guide your advocacy efforts.
Contact Britinia Galvin, email@example.com for more information about the Academy’s Advocacy Action Center which offers members the ability to contact their federal and their state legislators. This member benefit and convenient lobbying tool facilitates your messages to members of Congress or to your state legislators through letters and e-mails on important policies.