As the primary medical society for the specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), AAPM&R is proud to offer a variety of career and patient resources for Academy members, their patients and their families. Explore below to learn more about our latest offerings.
Stroke Patient Care
After stroke, the best path to recovery isn’t always clear. Approximately 55% of stroke patients need additional care after their hospital stay to maximize recovery and return home. In the United States, there are several different levels of post-acute inpatient and outpatient care for people who have had a stroke.
Use the resources below to educate physicians and administrators in your system, and patients about the different levels of care and the role of a physiatrist at each level, based on current guidelines.
- The Post-Acute Continuum for Stoke Care: A Guide for Patients and Their Families: Download a high-resolution PDF, which you can provide to a professional printer and distribute in your practice. If you need a professional printer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can suggest printers. Download a digital version of the brochure that you can share with patients and their families electronically.
- Stroke Rehabilitation Pathways Power-Point Presentation: Download the PPT document. This presentation is designed for the physiatrist to present to peers and system administrators. Note: Each slide includes Notes to guide you in presenting the material.
Conditions and Treatments
- Physiatrists evaluate and treat patients with short- or long-term physical and/or cognitive impairments and disabilities that result from musculoskeletal conditions (neck or back pain, or sports or work injuries), neurological conditions (stroke, brain injury or spinal cord injury) or medical other conditions. Our goal is to decrease pain and enhance performance without surgery.
- View a list of the most common PM&R-related conditions treated by physiatrists, including post-stroke pain and traumatic brain injury.
Practice Preparedness Resources
The Academy offers a wide range of resources for physiatrists to help improve their practice functionality, including:
Career Development Resources
The complimentary resources below were developed for residents and physiatrists in the first few years of practice:
Job and Fellowship Board
Explore the largest PM&R-dedicated job board to find the latest job and fellowship postings.
Need help navigating the Job and Fellowship Board?
Foundations, Associations, and Societies
- View a list of foundations, associations, and societies that patients of PM&R physicians may find of interest.