Register today to join AAPM&R for an informative webinar on Thursday, February 11 at 6 pm (CT).
On November 20, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published two rules that finalize reforms to several regulations governing fraud and abuse in the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
The first rule, published by the HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG), focuses primarily on the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS). The second rule, published by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), addresses the Physician Self-Referral Law, commonly referred to as the “Stark Law.” These final rules took effect on January 19, 2021.
During our webinar on February 11 at 6 pm (CT), we will review the newly finalized protections for value-based arrangements, as well as other important changes across a broad range of areas—from simplifying compliance to clarifying and redefining foundational concepts. Key topics include:
- The background of the proposed rules, including the transition towards value-based care and the HHS objective to remove roadblocks to care transformation that drove the amendments.
- The new protections for value-based care, which allow for the exchange of financial and other benefits in pursuit of care coordination, patient engagement, quality improvement and cost reduction.
- The revised protections regarding transfers of cybersecurity and electronic health record (EHR) technology.
- Other amendments to the AKS and Stark regulations that ease compliance burdens, clarify ambiguities and align with updates in other laws.
- The new or modified definitions for critical Stark Law concepts, such as “designated health services,” “commercially reasonable” and “fair market value.”
AAPM&R strongly recommends consultation with health care counsel experienced in the federal Stark Law and the AKS, as well as the applicable state’s fraud and abuse laws, prior to taking any actions in reliance on the final rules discussed in this webinar.
- Robert Jasak, Esq., Vice President, Coverage and Payment Policy, Hart Health Strategies<
- Cindy H. Moon, MPP, MPH, Vice President, Health Care Payment and Delivery Reform, Hart Health Strategies
- Segun Dawodu, MD, MBA, JD, AAPM&R Private Practice Work Group Member
Attendees will have the opportunity to earn 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.