Take your ultrasound experience to the next level with this cadaver-based course, intended for the intermediate physiatric ultrasonographer. This course will highlight joint injections, soft tissue injections, and identification of muscles commonly targeted in EMG or spasticity management. A combination of didactic lectures coupled with hands-on guided procedures using cadaveric specimens and dry lab stations will be used to advance your skill set. Expert faculty will guide small groups in performing the most common ultrasound guided procedures for a physiatrist.
(SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Alfred C. Gellhorn, MD
Brittany J. Moore, MD
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the value and limitations of ultrasound as a diagnostic and interventional tool.
- Produce an optimal ultrasound image of specific structures in live patients and in a cadaver for preparation for an ultrasound guided injection by demonstrating a command of knowledge over transducer orientation and adjusting ultrasound picture for depth, focal zone, gain, time-gain compensation, frequency, and beam steering.
- Accurately direct a needle towards targeted structures using MSK ultrasound.
- Accurately palpate specified bony landmarks and soft tissue structures required for a comprehensive musculoskeletal physical exam using MSK ultrasound for feedback.
- Accurately identify needle insertion points based on surface anatomy required for electrodiagnostic and spasticity management injections.
Who Should Attend
Physicians who care for patients with neurologic or musculoskeletal diseases and have an intermediate knowledge of ultrasound.
Prerequisite Note: It is strongly recommended that attendees already have fundamentals of ultrasound education from an AAPM&R introductory ultrasound course or from another organization/institution.
(SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Friday, August 28
7:15am – 8:00am Registration
8:00am – 8:10am Introduction to Ultrasound Procedures
Alfred C. Gellhorn, MD
8:10am – 8:20am Ultrasound Setup
Alfred C. Gellhorn, MD
8:20am – 8:35am Anatomy for Head and Neck
Katharine E. Alter, MD
8:35am – 8:45am Case-based Pitfalls of Ultrasound Procedures
John O. Watson, MD
8:45am – 9:30am Dry Lab Stations: Session 1
9:30am – 10:15am Dry Lab Stations: Session 2
10:15am – 10:30am Break
10:30am – 11:15am Dry Lab Stations: Session 3
11:15am – 11:30am Spasticity Management Using Ultrasound
Heakyung Kim, MD
11:30am – 11:45am Common Shoulder Injections
John M. Lesher, MD MPH
11:45am – 12:00pm Questions
12:00pm – 1:00pm Lunch
1:00pm – 1:15pm Common Elbow Injections
Lindsay N. Ramey, MD
1:15pm – 1:30pm Common Wrist/Hand Injections
Jeffery M. Payne, MD
1:30pm – 1:45pm Common Hip Injections
Melita N. Moore, MD
1:45pm – 2:00pm Common Knee Injections
Samuel K. Chu, MD
2:00pm – 2:15pm Common Ankle Injections
Elena J. Jelsing, MD
2:15pm – 2:30pm Break
2:30pm – 3:30pm Cadaver Stations: Session 1
3:30pm – 4:30pm Cadaver Stations: Session 2
4:30pm – 5:30pm Cadaver Stations: Session 3
5:30pm – 6:30pm Adjournment/Networking Reception
Saturday, August 29
8:00am – 9:00am Cadaver Stations: Session 4
9:00am – 10:00am Cadaver Stations: Session 5
10:00am – 10:15am Break
10:15am – 11:15am Cadaver Stations: Session 6
11:15am – 12:15pm Cadaver Stations: Session 7
12:15pm – 1:15pm Lunch
1:15pm – 2:15pm Cadaver Stations: Session 8
2:15pm – 3:15pm Cadaver Stations: Session 9
3:15pm – 3:30pm Break
3:30pm – 4:30pm Cadaver Stations: Session 10
4:30pm – 5:00pm Free Scanning/Debriefing with Q&A
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton
Hotel and Conference Center
2111 Butterfield Road
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Book before Thursday, August 6, 2020 to receive our discounted rate of $99 per night (plus tax). You can book by clicking the "Reserve a Room" link below. If calling to book your hotel stay, please reference “AAPM&R August Course.”
As an option, air travel reservations may be made by calling TruTravel Solutions, the official travel partner for AAPM&R.
Phone: 844-878-8728 (x101 or x102)
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
TruTravel Solutions hours are Monday – Friday. 8:30am - 5:00pm (Central Time). TruTravel Solutions charges a $25 per ticket transaction fee.
Course check-in will be August 28 from 7:15 am-8:00 am in the IT&T Center main lobby where course badges and materials will be available.
Breakfast and lunch will be served on both days of the course.
Scrubs are REQUIRED attire for the cadaveric lab sessions at the course. Scrubs and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the cadaveric labs will be provided to you on-site to wear. PPE provided includes:
- Head and shoe covers
Locker rooms will be available for attendees to change into scrubs and store personal items prior to entering the cadaveric lab.
A networking reception with beverages and appetizers will be held for attendees on Friday, August 28 from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm at the IT&T Center. Relax and enjoy your time talking with faculty and your peers about the day.
Cancellation and Change Policy
AAPM&R recognizes that this is an uncertain time, and current and potential course attendees may be looking at their ability to attend and travel to courses in the next several months. We want you to feel that you can reserve your space in the course without risk if you are unable to travel at a later time. For that reason, AAPM&R will give a full refund*, without fees or penalties, to registrants unable to attend this course.
When possible, cancellations with advanced notice prior to the course would be appreciated to aid the Academy in planning accordingly. Please submit cancellations in writing via email to email@example.com
by July 10, 2020.
*Please note: For participants in the full STEP Certificate Program, refunds may not be issued for live or online components already completed or in progress. STEP program participants with questions about refunds may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE READ BEFORE REGISTERING!
- Spots are available for physicians only wanting to attend this course as a one-off, stand-alone course and not interested in participating in the complete STEP Ultrasound Certificate Program.
- Registering for this course does not enroll you in the complete STEP Ultrasound Certificate Program, nor will you be able to enroll after attending the course. STEP Ultrasound is a structured program where all steps must be completed in order (Step 1 > Step 2 > Step 3) and the entry point must start with Step 1 - Fundamentals.
- Click here if you are interested in participating in the complete STEP Ultrasound Certificate Program instead, starting with Step 1 - Fundamentals.
- AAPM&R is continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation, which may impact the availability of this live course. If guidelines and/or other circumstances should change, you will be notified as soon as possible.