Mission & Purpose
The mission of the AAPM&R Self-Assessment Committee (SAC), part of the Academy's Medical Education Committee, is to assist practitioners and residents in maintaining the highest standards of physiatric practice through self-assessment examination.
The SAC produces annually a Self-Assessment Examination for Residents (SAE-R) covering residency competencies as well as overlying clinical issues, that will
Assist residents by providing:
- An objective self-assessment examination for clarification of learners' needs.
- A comparison of present level of performance of each resident with that of other residents throughout the country at a similar level of training.
- A stimulus for study.
- Practice in taking objective, written examinations and handling patient management problems.
- Year-to-year documentation of progress in accumulating knowledge in PM&R.
Assist program directors of participating residency training programs by providing:
- An indication of the training needs of residents in their programs.
- A comparison of the present level of performance of their residents with that of other residents throughout the country at a similar level of training.
Note: The SAE-R is not intended to be used as a primary tool for resident evaluation or basis for promotion.
The SAE-R is
administered annually to residents from more than 100 national and international PM&R residency
The 150 multiple-choice-question exam is aligned with the ACGME PM&R milestones. The content outline can be accessed here.
Future Exam Dates:
- 2023: Tuesday, January 24 - Monday, January 30
- 2024: Tuesday, January 23 - Monday, January 29
SAE-R exams are administered online and via paper in partnership with Scantron, Inc.
How to Read the Report
Click the links below to learn how to read your report.
Past SAE-R Score Reports
AAPM&R sends the current year’s score reports to residency
program directors who participated in the SAE-R in April. Program
directors are responsible for sharing individual resident score results.
If you would like to purchase an Individual Resident Score Report or a
Residency Program Score Report from a past SAE-R, please email email@example.com for details.
Please note the following:
- Individual Resident Score Reports and Residency Program Score
Reports will be available in April of the year the exam was
- AAPM&R cannot provide copies of SAE-R reports before 2005.
- Because of the confidential nature of residents' SAE-R scores,
programs may only receive copies of their overall program reports—not
Questions or Need Help?
If you have questions or need help, please review the Policies document below for further details or contact us with questions: