For the 2022 performance year, CMS continues to use our Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances (EUC) application to allow clinicians, groups, virtual groups, and Alternate Payment Model (APM) Entities to request reweighting of MIPS performance categories due to the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE).
CMS has extended the MIPS EUC application deadline for only individuals, groups, virtual groups, and APM Entities citing COVID-19 as the triggering event through 8 pm ET on Friday, March 3, 2023. Please note that applications received between January 3, 2023 and March 3, 2023 won’t override submitted data for individuals, groups, and virtual groups.
APM Entities participating in MIPS APMs can submit a MIPS EUC Exception application with some differences from the existing policy for individuals, groups, and virtual groups:
- APM Entities are required to request reweighting for all performance categories.
- At least 75% of the MIPS eligible clinicians in the APM Entity will need to qualify for reweighting in the Promoting Interoperability performance category.
- Data submission for an APM Entity won't override performance category reweighting from an approved application.
- Quality Payment Program COVID-19 Response Factsheet (PDF)
- 2022 MIPS Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Exception Application Guide
- 2022 Data Submission FAQs
For more information, please see the Quality Payment Program COVID-19 Response webpage of the QPP website.