The Innovative Payment and Practice Models (IPPM) Committee is thrilled to launch two new value-based payment resources. The Stroke Rehabilitation and Spine Care Toolkits were created to serve as guides for Academy members who are seeking to implement PM&R-led stroke rehabilitation and spine care alternative payment models (APMs) in their practice or payment system. The toolkits provide information on value-based care models, appropriate outcomes, economic and payment considerations and current medical research to support the premise of the APM. The goal of these toolkits is to support opportunities for members to approach healthcare systems and payors to encourage stroke rehabilitation and spine care APM adoption and innovate the systems of care to provide enhanced and progressive rehabilitation throughout the continuum.
The toolkits encompass several elements to help benefit the consideration and implementation of an APM:
- Summary of program goals
- Description of the economic considerations for value-based stroke rehabilitation or spine care
- Innovative care pathways
- Current environmental assessment
- Essential components of an effective organizational team
- Engaging senior leadership in APM adoption
- Recommendations for quality, clinical and financial outcome metrics, and data analysis
- Identify key clinical team members and their roles
- Populations, duration of care, scope of care, appropriate entry and exit criteria
- Recommendations for increasing awareness and influence of program
To learn more about the toolkits and other AAPM&R efforts related to payment and practice models, please visit the Academy’s APM webpage. Please contact Academy staff at email@example.com with any questions.