STEP stands for Skills, Training, Evaluation, and Performance. The STEP Interventional Spasticity Certificate Program teaches and assesses interventional spasticity skills using a standardized, progressive, and competency-based curriculum with both online and live components. Including comprehensive training on the range of interventional options (including injections, pumps, and pharmacology), this program is designed to help physiatrists integrate spasticity management directly into their practice.
When you earn the STEP Interventional Spasticity Program Certificate, you:
- Gain confidence by representing the highest standard in the field
- Enhance your career opportunities
- Earn visibility and credibility in spasticity management
- Communicate to patient and employers that you are committed to excellence
- Earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and meet American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) Maintenance of Certification® (MOC®) Part II and IV requirements
Participants move through a series of 3 STEPs. Those who successfully complete all the required STEPs, including passing the final post-test and skills assessment, earn a Certificate of Completion. Learn more about the STEP Interventional Spasticity Program.
The Academy is pleased to announce that we are again able to offer free registration (a $2,500 value) for at least five (5) 4th-year Residents and Fellows who are interested in spasticity management and meet the pre-requisite requirements. All applicants must complete a brief survey and submit their CV. Participation is not guaranteed until formal confirmation is received from AAPM&R. Accepted applicants must be members of AAPM&R. Travel expenses will be the responsibility of the attendee.
This certificate program includes three steps:
- Baseline pre-test and Online Program (9.5 hours of education)
- Live course on April 14-15, 2023 in Rosemont, IL (arrival the evening of April 13) followed by a case log at your own institution
- Online post-test and live skills assessment at Annual Assembly in New Orleans
Space is very limited for this program to ensure the highest level of training and education. As such, the following is expected of scholarship participants:
- Completion of the online program prior to the live course in April
- Attendance at the entire live course on April 14-15, 2023 in Rosemont, IL
- Independent completion of a case log at your own institution prior to the skills assessment in November
- Completion of the live Skills Assessment on November 15, 2023, in New Orleans (in conjunction with the Annual Assembly) and post-test online before the end of the year.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel as soon as possible so that another applicant may be able to participate.
Scholarship recipients will not pay any fees for participation in the course or assessment, and meals at the course are included. However, you will be responsible for your own travel and hotel reservation for the course in April, as well as any additional costs for attending the skills assessment at the Annual Assembly on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, in New Orleans (in conjunction with the 2023 Annual Assembly).
Eligible scholarship applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Completion of at least 3 years of PM&R residency
- Completion of at least 20 toxin injections
- Completion of at least 10 ultrasound scans
- Familiarity with ultrasound and EMG principles
- Sound working knowledge of MSK anatomy and kinesiology
All applicants must submit their application and CV here by February 8, 2023.
Please note that all scholarship recipients must be members of the Academy. If you are not currently a member, your application will not be reviewed until a membership application is received.
Because space is limited, registrants who wish to cancel must notify AAPM&R in writing to email@example.com at least two weeks prior to the course date.
- February 8: Application deadline
- March 15: Accepted participants will be notified
- March 15 – April 13: Complete the online assessment and coursework
- April 14-15: Attend the STEP Spasticity in-person training course in Rosemont, IL
- May – November: Complete Case Log and online post-test
- November 15: Complete the Spasticity Skills Assessment at Annual Assembly in New Orleans (note: this is the day before the 2023 Annual Assembly begins)
December: Certificates awarded to those who pass the written post-test and skills assessment