AAPM&R is working with the Coalition to Preserve Rehabilitation (CPR), the Habilitation Benefits Coalition (HAB), and the Independence Through Enhancement of Medicare and Medicaid (ITEM) Coalition, along with 60 national rehabilitation and disability organizations, to host a Congressional briefing on the value of rehabilitation and habilitation services and devices. As Congress considers health care reform, it is critical that people with injuries, illnesses, and disabilities have continued access to rehabilitative and habilitative care.
Scheduled for June 27, the Congressional Briefing on The Value of Rehabilitation and Habilitation Services and Devices in America’s Healthcare System, will include:
- Remarks from Congressional Speakers on the Importance of Rehabilitation and Habilitation for Those with Injuries, Illnesses, Disabilities and Chronic Conditions
- The Impact of Rehabilitation and Habilitation Services and Therapies
- The Impact of Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and other Assistive Devices
- Rehabilitation’s Impact on Injured Military and Veterans
- Personal Testimonials of Injury, Habilitation, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
- U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) (invited): Bilateral leg amputee injured in Iraq
- U.S. Congressman Brian Mast (R-FL) Bilateral leg amputee injured in Afghanistan
- Eric LeGrand: Former Rutgers football player who sustained a spinal cord injury during a game
- Roseann Sdoia: Boston bombing survivor who sustained an above knee amputation
- Isabella Smith: Child with a developmental disability whose speech has benefitted from habilitative speech therapy
As a sponsoring organization of this briefing, your Academy has been involved in organizing congressional and committee visits, which are key to the success of this day. AAPM&R is proud to sponsor this effort. Stay tuned for more information and learn more about how the Academy advocates for the specialty.